Monday, December 27, 2010

Eastpoint, & St. George Island

We made it out of Carrabelle and headed for a small detour before going west. Someone at the RV park had said St. George Island was a neat place to go and get sea shells. Carrabelle's beach didn't have much for variety so it kinda perked my ears up when he mentioned more shell variety to collect. The kids think any kind of sea shell is better than gold, lol.

The bridge to the Island was rather enormous, and has a big hill right in the center so the taller boats can pass under. I really wanted a good picture from a distance so we pulled off to the side of the road in a little, little town called Eastpoint which is right before the turn off to the island.

Eastpoint, Florida
If you look you can just barely see the bridge along the horizon.

Eastpoint, Florida
So then I start noticing my surroundings a bit more - the buildings around, the boats around, just about everything looked like it falling to the ground or rotting away. I spotted this boat and it seemed to just call out to me. Doesn't it just make you wanna go wash it?? Probably needs a lot more than a good scrubbing.

Eastpoint, Florida
I always wonder what the story is when I see stuff like this.

So then I started to walk back to the truck and hear some clinking under my feet....
Eastpoint, Florida
This is when I noticed the entire beach and parking lot was not dirt, but solid oyster shells.

So I walked over to the next few lots and find they are all made of oyster shells...
Eastpoint, Florida
With excess to add to that - piled up in corners,

Eastpoint, Florida
and under buildings. They were everywhere. A few locals said they even used them for building up their driveways.

I just can't get over how odd that was.

Eastpoint, Florida

So then it hits me we should find some fresh local oysters to have for dinner tonight and boy was I ever surprised! We found a place just down the road that sold us between 4 and 5 dozen fresh live oysters for a grand total of $8.50! I don't mean per dozen, but all together! Do you know how much fresh live oysters go for in Alaska?? We would have paid almost $80 for that same amount! I told the lady behind the counter that and I'm quite certain she didn't believe a word of it, lol! Who would believe a $70 mark up? Anyway we made Oyster Rockefeller with them which turned out Awesome. I'll share the recipe in the next post.

Anyway here's a few shots of St. George Island and the loot we picked up there!

St. George Island, Florida

St. George Island, Florida

St. George Island, Florida

3 comments:

Dana said...

we LOVE to collect shells!!! How fun - can't wait to get back to the beach ourselves!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that your photos are amazing!

MrsM said...

Aww, thank you so much!